Wednesday, August 10, 2011

the beginning of something beautiful.

I've been sitting here for awhile trying to figure out where to begin. So much has happened in the last 24 hours and it all seems to meld together into one big, beautiful highlight.

Yesterday our team was picked up by Varma, Asian Aid's program director here in India. He is a wonderful man and is our new friend. Yesterday in the car he spent a long time patiently trying to teach us how to say things like, "What is your name?" and "How old are you?" in Telugu. I'll be honest and say I'm not a natural, but I think he enjoyed teaching us just the same.

After taking us out to eat (delicious Indian food! We win!) they took us to the Seventh-day Adventist school that Asian Aid is sponsoring in the slums of Vizak. This is about the time when my heart melted--and I think it will continue to be a puddle on the floor for the duration of this visit. They were such adorable children, full of laughter and energy. We are planning to take their school on a picnic on Friday. I am so, so excited about this.

Next was a two hour drive to the Bobbili blind school--our home for the next two weeks. Upon arrival we were met with the most amazing greeting I've ever experienced. ALL the blind children were lining the driveway in two rows and there was a sign with all our names on it, welcoming us to their school. When we got out of the car we were each given a bouquet of flowers from the littlest children and warm handshakes from the staff. Then came my favorite part--meeting the children. We got to go down the rows and shake hands with each one, asking their names and telling them ours. They were so polite and precious!



The welcome that we've received here has been really amazing. The principal, Pastor Paulson, and his staff are more than willing to do whatever we need to help us, and the kids have been so warm and receptive. The children here are really incredible and I know that we're all looking forward to connecting with them more.

Anyway, I was just told that the internet was going to shut off really soon, so I better publish this. Thank you guys all for being interested in this journey--we really appreciate your continued support and prayers.

-Tara

5 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing Tara - we are all praying for you and the gang there!

    - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are people out here watching, Tara, and praying too. Change [lives] and be changed my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! This is good. So many things are going through my mind right now...many of them memories. Live it up over there! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, you are going to want to stay there forever. We can go back and visit sometime! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things are going well!! I'm glad you guys all made it okay and that your reception has been so wonderful. I ate Indian food today with Rachael and company for her birthday. Thought of you guys. My food probably wasn't as good (thought it was rather spectacular). : )

    ReplyDelete